Monday, May 16, 2005

The Amityville HORROR..of a movie!!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© MGM

Title:
The Amityville Horror (C-)
PH Release Date:
May 11, 2005
Actors:
Ryan Reynolds, Melissa George, Philip Baker Hall, Jimmy Bennett, Jesse James, Rachel Nichols
Director:
Andrew Douglas
Screenplay:
Scott Kosar
Editor / Music:
Chris Wagner / Steve Jablonsky
Design / Photography:
Jennifer Williams / Peter Collister
Producer:
Michael Bay et al.
Studio:
MGM

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© MGM

“There’s something really strange going on in this house…. (oh really??!!)”

And there’s something really weird about how this movie was sorta put together. That line, though fits the moment, felt like something I’ve heard from every slasher/horror flick I’ve seen since I was little (as if i'm tall now). Yes, it’s remake but that doesn’t mean everything that they do needs to follow what they based it from.

The story is pretty slick, because they have the power to say that it’s based from a true story. I have no time to research on whether in fact the premise they used is legit. So let’s just assume that it is. It doesn’t matter anyway cuz they weren’t able to use it effectively.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© MGM

I haven’t seen the original so I cannot compare whether it’s better or worse. And to be honest, I really don’t care. The fact that the characters presented in this movie are just plain stupid does it for me. I mean c’mon. If you have all the clues that something really bad is going on, why would you stay on that house for 28 days!!!! Your daughter talks to herself and becomes suicidal, your husband acts like he’s ready to butcher your kids and the priest runaway mad after attempting to bless the house. Aren’t those clues enough to actually make you say that “There’s absolutely something wrong in this house”, then get packing and leave.

Another crazy thing about this movie, is that the ghost inside the house (Jodi) seems more of an enemy than a friend, but I presume she’s suppose to be since she’s the little girl. I dunno. I’m going mad just thinking about this movie.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© MGM

As a director, Andrew Douglas, is a very talented copycat. If Xerox gets him as their CEO, they’ll probably regain their long lost popularity. Eveything he did was anything but original. As if every single thing that pops up in his mind (doesn’t matter whether it’s from another horro flick) he uses right away. He doesn’t even think twice, stupid fella. Sorry for the language but I really am pissed for wasting my time and money on this shit. I should have known better.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© MGM

The only thing nice about this movie which I am terribly surprise became the outcome was Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George. Okay, Ryan may not be the most reputable actor around, but he did his thing pretty well. No Van Wilder trying to be Jim Carrey thing, just him trying act in a horror movie. I love Melissa George from the moment I laid eyes on her way before she became part of Alias. This british beauty knows how to act, I just wish she can be given better roles than this. Such a waste of facial talent if that doesn’t happen wahehe.

Technically, the movie’s music sucked. Evrytime a scary scene comes up you know exactly when it’s gonna happen and how it’s gonna happen. It’s more premature than my first time (just kiddin’… wahehe). The production design is okay but the editing felt rushed. Needs a lot of improvement and too bad, there’s no more room for that cuz I guess the director though that when he first saw it, "this is it! my master piece". It was one hell of a masterpiece alright.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© MGM


Some moviegoers probably did like this movie. I for one have a fucked-up bone in my body with the same sentiment. Why? Because somehow, the movie worked for being a copycat. But I’m telling you, it may be a good waste of time, but a waste of time still. Not to mention money! You’ll gain nothing for watching this movie and I don’t think that in any way the entertainment factor can cover-up. Saw the verdict is out, it’s a horror movie and nothing short or more than that.

Grading Sheet:
Story - 12%
Screenplay -
10%
Direction / Execution -
10%
Acting -
15%
Technical Aspect -
14%
Total: 86% =
C-



© MGM

0 rant/rave:

Post a Comment

<< Home