Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Great Raid --- a not-so-great movie

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© Miramax
Title:
The Great Raid (B-)
PH Release Date:
August 10, 2005
Actors:
Benjamin Bratt, James Franco, Joseph Fiennes, Connie Nielsen, Martin Csokas, Logan Marshall-Green, Cesar Montano, Max Martini
Director:
John Dahl
Based on the books by:
William B. Breuer and Hampton Sides
Screenplay:
Carlo Bernard & Doug Miro
Editor / Music:
Scott Chestnut / Trevor Rabin
Design / Photography:
Bruno Rubeo / Peter Menzies Jr.
Producer:
Bob and Harvey Weinstein et al.
Studio:
Miramax Films

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© Miramax

The most daring rescue mission of our time blah, blah, blah…

Normally, given my unscrupulous taste in movies, one would not expect me to watch this flick. Why? For a lot of reasons. First, it’s a war movie. Second, it’s a war movie. And third it’s a war movie. I haven’t included the fact that Benjamin Bratt is in it. So, as you may have expected it was not quite a fancy for me to do this but I had to since this kind of opportunity may not come again, that is to see conceited Pinoy actors work as extras in a big-budgeted real Hollywood movie.

When I first heard that Cesar Montano would be doing a Hollywood movie, I didn’t think that he was going to work with the likes of James Franco and Joseph Fiennes. They’re not A-list stars but man, when I did found out…. All I mumbled was this sh*t’s for real. Some may not consider it as completely a Hollywood break since it’s a movie set in our country and mildly about us, so it will require them to hire Filipino actors, but man, the fact that the Weinsteins are producing it, means it’s legit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© Miramax

The movie is set during the latter part of the World Ward II. A minute number of soldiers were assigned to rescue 500 POW in Cabanatuan, who’s been resident captives in than hands of the callous Japanese for three years. The said task was dubbed to be impossible cuz not only were they outnumbered and outpowered, they’re battling with time since an abolition order was already launched.

The battalion, led by Lt. Col. Mucci (Bratt) will have to find the best way to save their POW before they get fried. Together with their strategist, Capt. Prince (Franco), they’ll do the most impossible mission ever with the help of Filipino Guerillas led by Capt. Pajota (Cesar Montano) and save Major Gibson (Joseph Fiennes) and the rest of his crew.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© Miramax

Weird as it may seem not only to you, but to myself as well. I did find the movie pleasant. Unlike some of the comments for this movie, I didn’t find it boring at all. It was not perfect but definitely more than a mediocre. Some may find this view biased since it’s a Filipino film, believe me, there’s no way that I am going to compose this sh*t for the mere sake of carrying our own chair… I’ll get nothing from it. I just did like it. It was not that astoundingly exciting movie, but it was worth watching.

One good element that you will find in this movie that can hardly be seen in war movies such as these, is the fact that almost everything was real. This is probably the most historically factual war film to date. Which leads me to the downside of this flick, its lack of good characterization. Because its focus is on giving a precise account of the events that transpired during that time and including all the major players there was not much too remember or hang on to except that. If the movie focused on the romance between Connie and Joseph’s character and used the rescue as a mere backdrop, then this movie will fair better.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© Miramax

First time director John Dahl did an okay job overall. Nothing special but good enough. The cinematography is far from great but passable. I would say the same thing for the editing. However, I did like the production design. They captured Manila very well. Music wise, I loved how they used it on the scene when the dead members of their society were presented to Connie’s character.

One thing that I really didn’t like in this flick is the fact that Benjamin Bratt is in it. I never liked him and I’m pretty sure I never will. He’s the weakest element in this movie. The trying-hard-to-be-oldie accent pissed me off beyond limits. What the f*ck were they thinking, casting him for such role.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© Miramax

I could say entirely the opposite for the rest of the cast. James Franco was convincing. Joseph Fiennes proved that he deserves to be one my favorites. Connie Nielsen just wrote her name on my list. Logan Green needs to get a better role that this one cuz he's really good. Cesar Montano was Cesar Montano nothing different. He did well and I hope others noticed him. They say Zoren Legaspi was supposed to play the role of Captain Pajota but backed out due to inability to leave he family, how sweet and how tragic. Opportunities like such doesn’t come very often.

If you keep your eyes glued on the screen, you’ll find a lot of Filipino extras in the movie. Bembol Roco, Alvin Anson and Paolo Montalban to name a few. The latter I failed to catch but his name is on the credits.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
© Miramax

I recommend people to see it mainly to get the chance to watch Filipino thespians working together with real Hollywood actors. It’s not a great film nor is it a mere trash. It has some great moments and some not-so, but as a whole it delivers as a war flick. This is definitely not for the kids so better keep them out. Not because it’s the usual raid that we see on the TV and tabloids, but because it’s too violent for them. God, I’m so lame.

Grading Sheet:
Story – 18%
Screenplay –
12%
Direction / Execution –
15%
Acting –
16%
Technical Aspect –
17%
Total: 78% =
B-

2 rant/rave:

Blogger Ace can't stop him/herself from saying...

all i can say is that i love this film. Not because ceasar was in it. or it was based on a story that happened in our beloved philly. it is because it was not made to impress. it tells us a story about the great raid. period. accuracy of the event + gripping dramatazition are its focus. see my review at my blog.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous can't stop him/herself from saying...

Great Blog! I also have a site about bolo mousse de chocolate receitas
. You can check it out at bolo mousse de chocolate receitas


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home