Wednesday, February 23, 2005

soaring high with THE AVIATOR



Title:
The Aviator (A)
PH Release Date:
February 23, 2005
Actors:
Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale, John C. Reilly, Alan Alda, Alec Baldwin, Jude Law, Gwen Stefani
Director:
Martin Scorsese
Story and Screenplay:
John Logan
Editor / Music:
Wayne Wahrman / Howard Shore
Cinematographer:
Robert Richardson
Producer:
Charles Evans, Michael Mann et al.
Studio:
Miramax



“some men dream the future, he built it…. now, see how he did it.….”

Leonardo and Martin teams up once for the second time to bring into the big screen the life of the aviation tycoon Howard Hughes. What I expected to be three hours of never-ending drama became three hours of spellbinding storytelling.

Howard Hughes Leonardo DiCaprio), he can be summed up in three words: eccentric, playboy and honest. He’s known for his odd behavior and craziness. He cares so much about aviation that he’s willing to go bankrupt for the sheer sake of it. This may not be the reason why some of the finest woman during her time where linked with him including Gene Harlow (Gwen Stefani), Kate Hepburn (Cate Blanchett) and Ava Gardner (Kate Beckinsale), but they sure did love something about him. With all the craziness surrounding him, will he ever be able to come out of it alive?



Honestly, I didn’t expect to like this movie at all. Martin and Leo, just doesn’t work perfectly fine for me. Gangs of New York is not exactly one of the best movies for me. The first time I heard about this movie, I just wanted to say to Martin to just give it up, they ain’t gonna give the bald man to him, I’m sure he will have it too, bout 20 years from now, just like what happened to Peter O’ Toole, but he just won’t give up, now I’m hearing talks bout another team-up with Leo again, well, after watching this movie… do it grandpa!

The story is staggering. I am not completely familiar with Howard since all this shit happened years before me but I could hardly believe that all this did happen. One may say it’s impossible but if you watch the movie there’s no way you would think that. How a man pioneered aviation, battle an airplane company and a senator and make movies while dealing with his own oddity do seem implausible but it was real in this movie.



Martin may not be recognized by the academy but we all know who revolutionized movie directing and continues to do so since the 1970’s. Despite his age, he still manages to exemplify moviemaking at its finest. What I loved about his directing was that it doesn’t lavish in way too much with the emotions of the character. He doesn’t force the audience to get too close with them but simply allow them to look at them, carry your own judgments, and with that it made the viewing pleasurable. Unlike A Beautiful Mind, it's lesser drama and more story. Despite the length of the movie, I did found myself wanting for more. I was that awestruck that I just wanna see everything.

The movie captured the 20’s, 30's and 40’s so beautifully. The production design is as glamorous as the era and the cinematography just made it look so easy and so smooth. I don’t know if all the planes featured in the movie were all real or if some were CGI but if they are, man, they looked genuine to me. The sound was also great and the editing was very good as well. It’s one of the most refined movies last year.



Never liked Leonardo as an actor, I don’t maybe cuz I’m so pissed off with him ever since I saw him in that car scene on a humungous boat. I never thought he would be able to come up with a performance far better than what he gave in Catch me if you can. I adored him in that movie. The one that made me believe that he’s not just a pretty face. This time he proved that once more. He captured every inch of everything of this great man. I cannot believe he is capable of acting that consistent. He was very effective in the breakdown scenes and up to now I’m still in awe. After seeing this movie, I wouldn’t mind if he wins the Oscar. The difference between his performance and Jamie Foxx is that it wasn’t much of an imitation, they both delivered the character so well, Leo as an actor, and Jamie as an imitator. But Jamie has the edge because the figure just died almost a year ago and his lived decades ago.

Cate Blanchett is one of my favorite actresses, however, in this movie, I felt as if she was not herself. I didn’t even felt like she was Kate Hepburn, all it seemed to me was that she was having a language impediment. I found it totally weird. One thing I do admire though was that she was consistent, at least that I give to her. Right now, I am most definitely sure that Natalie Portman should win the Oscar. Kate Beckinsale did fine although this role didn’t really gave her much chance to prove anything acting-wise cuz it was so simple but she did it fine. Alan Alda gave an Oscar-worthy performance and so did John C. Reilly who’s snubbed this year. Gwen Stefani was nothing more than an extra in this movie.



A movie of epic proportions that never seemed to lose energy. A fascinating story that deserves to be seen by everyone. It proves how far determination can take you, that no matter how seemingly impossible it is or how much people underestimate and try to stop you, as long as you believe in what you do, you can get there. It’s one of the, if not the best film last year that will definitely keep you pump up till the very last frame. So come aboard and have a great flight…

0 rant/rave:

Post a Comment

<< Home