Thursday, January 20, 2005

Meet the Fockers and be Fockerized

Title:
Meet the Fockers (B+)
PH Release Date:
January 19, 2005
Actors:
Ben Stiller, Robert de Niro, Barbara Streisand, Dustin Hoffman, Blythe Danner, Teri Polo, Owen Wilson
Director:
Oliver Stone
Story & Screenplay:
Oliver Stone et al.
Editor / Music:
Tom Nordbgerg et al. / Vangelis
Design / Photography:
Jan Roelfs / Rodrigo Prieto
Producer:
Thomas Schuhly, Moritz Borman et al.
Studio:
Intermedia



“Asss… HOOwwWwwwLLLL!!!!!” - LJ

Believe it or not, but I know you’ll believe it, I have not seen Meet The Parents. Yup, you read that right! One of the best contemporary slapstick comedies ever made. I don’t know exactly why but I just haven’t seen it yet. And after seeing this movie, it made me realize how stupid I am to miss its antecedent.

Gaylord Folker (Stiller) is about to marry the beautiful of a former CIA agent (Polo), He was able to surpass the challenge that is Jack Byrnes. And everything is working out perfectly. Or so he thought. Time came for him to introduce his parents, and the Fockers are in every way different from the Byrnes. Will Gaylord be able to halt his parents from being themselves and pursuer their wedding, or will they screw it up and permanently block him out from Jack’s circle of trust?

Reviled by critics but loved by the audience and me, well, I’m kinda stuck in the middle. You see, I enjoyed the movie so much. It was laugh out loud crazy. However, the little critic inside of me is telling me what the fuck am I thinking? It was fun but if you think about it, haven’t I seen these all before???

The screenplay was good enough for me, I thought that it wasn’t that cluttered with all the lame ass jokes. It was nicely paced; it was more like moving in the moment, you won’t think that it’s forced in any way. I just loved the way the characters were presented, they’re definitely somebody you recognize. You can actually consider the Focker couple as your longtime neighbor; the ones who always shout when someone arrives and loves hugging and kissing. Or, I dunno if this is worse or better, they’re the two people petting on your couch during family time aheheh….



The movie was very simple. No spooky or taunting audio presentation. No CGI parody. It was shown, as it is suppose to be seen, and heard, as it was suppose to be heard. Not too much technical efforts because it wasn’t necessary.

Ben Stiller was Ben Stiller. Dares to be hurt and look stupid, your everyday good guy who somewhat, somehow always finds himself in inapt situations. And he played it perfectly. I say between him and Adam Sandler, he definitely pulls it off better. Robert de Niro is a class act. Nobody does it better! Not even Tony Soprano. He’s just so good with playing these tough roles, and it doesn’t matter if they’re real toughie or the softy toughie, he can just play them all so well. Dustin Hoffman, well, I honestly thought he was an odd choice. I have nothing against this guy from Tootsie but I just don’t think he’ll be fun enough for the role. He kinda proved me wrong but I won’t say that he changed my mind (ha? Ahehe.)

Barbara Streisand, the ultimate co-gay icon of Cher. She’s definitely not my generation that’s why I have so little background of her. In fact I cannot remember seeing her in any of the movies I’ve seen. But in this movie, I love her. She didn’t register as a stickler in any way. It was fun watching her. She’s very natural. If she’s not really like that in real life, I say they better give her another Oscar. Blythe Danner is so pretty for her age, half as popular as Barbara but just as fabulous. Teri Polo well, obviously she’s kinda the murky star in this movie. I dunno, but she’s just not that enthralling like the others.



They all gave brilliant performance but the real star in this all-star cast movie, is none other than LJ!!! The kiddo!!! Man, this kid rocks!!!! Or rather those twins rock, I know that some of the talking scenes were CGI made but if they weren’t, man, they’re definitely products of Promil, though I think I should be quite bothered if they do know how to utter that word at their age. The asshole scene is a classic. I never laughed so much in a joke so overly done. It was just too much. I swear I’m still laughing just thinking about that. I say for that alone, see this movie. It’s to die for!!!

A star studded LOL treat that won’t fail to touch you. The ones who despised this movie need to loosen up a bit. Galaw galaw baka mastroke (move a little to avoid stroke). Every once in a while, there comes a movie that’s not to be eternalized, but sternly to enjoy. This is one of those movies. Despite the weak conclusion, it still didn’t strain my view of it. So go take yourself, your friends, and everyone else to the cinema, and get yourselves FOCKERIZED!!!!!

“Asss… HOOwwWwwwLLLLL!!!!!”

2 rant/rave:

Blogger firewomyn can't stop him/herself from saying...

i love this movie!
i was kinda apprehensive at first bec part 2's usually don't fare as much as its predecessor.
but this part 2 is at par w/ its first.
and that's a major feat in a comedy.
kudos to the mighty cast!

i've been fockerized!!! :p

7:27 PM  
Blogger riddler can't stop him/herself from saying...

i'm glad you loved it as well, it really makes me wonder why the critics despise this movie so much.. the audience so obviously loved it...

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home