Thursday, December 30, 2004

MMFF 2004 results....

It’s the moment of truth, we shall now find out whether my fearless predictions actually transpired or didn’t. If my personal favorites walk with the award and my personal biases get through with the committee. It’s time to see how good Mother Lily’s PR went. Hey, this is plain humor so don’t you go sue me for libel ahehe..

If you’ve been watching or just plain observing the previous MMFF awards, it is quite noticeable that it is one of the, if not the most informal awards committee one will ever see. For example, in the different acting categories, as long as you’re a part of the movie even if all you did was stretch some arms while singing, you get a nomination. I mean, c’mon how low are their standards? And they don’t even no in what category the actors ought to be in. Actors who played a SUPPORTING ROLE are not supposed to be nominated in the LEAD role category and vice-versa. Just like the ONLI IN DA PILIPINS category Best Child Actor you can’t possibly find Eddie Garcia there. Just doesn’t fit. I hope next time will be different… AS IF….

Enough drama let’s kick things off with the first category on my list…


Best Supporting Actress:

Who might win:
Yasmien Kurdi for Happy Together
Who should win:
Iza Calzado for Sigaw
Who will win:
Iza Calzado
Who won:
Rebecca I-forget-her-surname

Shocked and bewildered, that’s how I reacted. I saw the movie and I’m telling you she wasn’t that promising. Yeah, she was great in Muro Ami and all but this is a different movie, her acting is too immature but then again what does she know when it comes to acting? The committee must have thought that she’s acting as the uneasy timid girl in the movie well, FYI: she wasn’t….

Best Supporting Actor:

Who might win:
Jay Manalo for Mano Po 3
Who should win:
Dennis Trillo or Jomari Yllana (a toughie)
Who will win:
Jomari Yllana
Who won:
Dennis Trillo (I knew it will come down bet. the two)

First, why is Jomari Yllana nominated for Best Actor in a lead role? Since when did Richard Gutierrez became the support in SIGAW? This shit’s crazy… but I was really hoping that Dennis wins, he’s one of the most underrated young actors around unlike some overly-trying-hard-to-speak-in-English lads, he’s pretty natural and a lot more real….

Best Story:

Who might win:
Aishite Imasu 1941
Who should win:
Panaghoy sa Suba
Who will win:
Mano Po 3
Who won:
Mano Po 3 (next……)

Okay, I would have said it’s undeserving if I haven’t saw Panaghoy sa Suba, but since I already did and this one I haven’t seen, let’s just say I’m cutting them some slack…. Who said I’m bias?????? Oh, right I did….

Best Screenplay:

Who might win:
Aishite Imasu 1941
Who should win:
Panaghoy sa Suba
Who will win:
Mano Po 3
Who won:
Panaghoy sa Suba (best picture’s coming…)

Honestly, this is the one of the few things I resent about the movie… if they got the trophy for Best Story I wouldn’t mind but this one..hmmm… making me think twice about seeing Mano Po….

Best Actress:

Who might win:
Judy Ann Santos for Aishite Imasu 1941
Who should win:
Vilma Santos for Mano P 3
Who will win:
Vilma Santos
Who won:
Vilma Santos (almost a grandslam…)

Need I say more???????????

Oh, just one thing, ONLI IN DA PILIPINS that you find an award show where this trophy is given last. According to the book of right-way-of-giving-movie-awards the Best Picture is supposed to be the highest honor the body can give, so the best should always be save for last... I guess not here… hai….

Best Actor:


Who might win:
Christopher de Leon for Mano Po 3
Who should win:
Cesar Montano
Who will win:
Cesar Montano
Who won:
Christopher de Leon (what the!!!!!!!????????)

My Biggest Disappointment, though I recognize Christopher as a brilliant actor, I really think Cesar deserves this one more. Never mind the next award, he should have won this….

Best Director:

Who might win:
Joel Lamangan (lost thrice in one sitting)
Who should win:
Cesar Montano for Panaghoy sa Suba
Who will win:
Joel Lamangan (sure shot!)
Who won:
Cesar Montano (biggest surprise!)

When I said Cesar should win, it was because I knew he wouldn’t win, but when he actually did win, I knew he didn’t deserve it. No offense, for a rookie he did well but Joel Lamangan despite being overrated deserves this award more than anybody else. Cesar’s young and Joel is gay (irrelevant), he’ll have more chances to direct (what a logic)! I’m sleepy I’m sorry…

Best Picture:

Who might win:
Aishite Imasu 1941 (3rd Best Picture)
Who should win:
Panaghoy sa Suba (2nd Best Picture)
Who will win:
Mano Po 3 (Best Picture)
Who won:
Mano Po 3 (told yah)

I saw that coming with my eyes closed. They can give any other awards to the 7 movies left but this one’s going home to Lily. This kid ain’t going nowhere but to her. I will not say that it does not deserve it because I have not seen it, but let’s just say that politics is everywhere (WOW!)

PS.. I’m writing this in my new essay but I thought it’s worth mentioning, we’re not just the most irregular award-giving nation but we also have the rudest award show audience around. The show aint’ over yet and everybody’s leaving already. A unique Filipino virtue... how splendid….

1 rant/rave:

Blogger riddler can't stop him/herself from saying...

wah... salamat DONz... my no. fan aheheheh

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home