Friday, December 31, 2004

Panaghoy sa Suba (Cry of the River) --- overflowing with discontent

Title:
Panaghoy sa Suba {Cry of the River} (B)
PH Release Date:
December 25, 2004
Actors:
Cesar Montano, Juliana Palermo, Jacky Woo, Rebecca Lusterio, Daria Ramirez, Joel Torre
Director:
Cesar Montano
Story:
Cesar Montano
Music:
Nonong Buencamino
Cinematography:
Ely Cruz
Producer:
Sunshine Cruz-Montano, Cesar Montano et al.
Studio:
CM Films

“Ambot sa imo….. daghang salamat..” – from a crazy lad who knows no Visaya
When I first heard the entries for this year’s MMFF, I promised myself that I will see this movie whatever it takes (Actually I didn’t I just need something to start with). Despite my hectic schedule, I found time to go to the cinema and experience my first Visayan culture encounter outside of Luneta.

Set in the early 1940’s at Central Visayas, the movie follows the life of Duroy, a boatman who took the role of a father since their dad left. His mother became ill and he’s left with the task of providing for their family. Years have passed and Duroy and his brother were all grown-up, Duroy fell in love with Iset, who’s also the apple of his brother’s eye. One day, Mr. Smith (Iset’s American suitor and boss) found her and Duroy’s brother talking, it led to the termination of the brother who then sought revenge but found himself killed by the American. A lot of things happen and I’m going crazy trying to tell them so I’ll stop now….

Let’s begin rampaging this movie from its title. Panaghoy sa Suba when translated in English should be the Cry in the River. Instead, they chose Cry of the River which when translated to Tagalog, it’s Panaghoy ng Suba. A little crazy thing I failed to notice but someone mentioned it to me….

Moving on, I had high expectations from this movie. Being a period movie and all, I was looking for something really enthralling and intriguing. They were able to present that for the first 20-30 minutes of the film but after which, as the conflict arises, my patience was slowly pushed into the boiling point.

The story is nothing new. It’s conflict-filled that’s what best describes it. It would have been very good if it was written as a novel. With all the subplots, which were all resolved, it will stand as good novel. However, as a movie it needs a lot more improving.
I was bemused when I found out that it won for Best Screenplay, cuz if there’s something I spurn on this movie, it’s the screenplay. It’s not bad but it just wasn’t that smoothly done. There were too many subplots, each of them spurring out one after the other without the former being resolved. And when they began the resolution, you’re just too blemished from all the negativity that you fail to appreciate its logic anymore.

Cesar Montano, as a director needs a lot of improvement. There were tons of crazy shots that I can’t even begin to describe. The cinematography was certainly not above average and it was like back to the 80’s cinematography in a lot of ways. The music was good, but the direction, man, you’ll notice how amature he is. That’s why I can’t believe he won against Joel or how this movie won Best in Cinematography, I’m puzzled.

Cesar Montano as the actor in this movie, he was great. I truly believe he deserves to win Best Actor. Juliana was good enough, she surpassed my expectations but she still needs a lot of work. Rebecca, now how shall I put this, I don’t like her acting. I loved her in Muro-Ami as the young autistic girl but in this movie she was so sloppy. I stand by my belief that Iza Calzado deserves the Best Supporting Actress award.

Overall, it was disappointing. I was really hoping for this groundbreaking movie that will define moviemaking, the only thing it was close to defining was the Visayan Language. It was a film entangled with too much subplots and unsure of what it wanna be. It’s not a war film, it’s not a romantic movie, it’s not a self-discovery film, it’s not a family movie, it’s none of that type, it’s somewhere in between of all of that.

I recommend this film to everyone, simply because nobody’s watching it. No, seriously, a full-length film in a Visayan language is worth the watch. It’s a different experience. Aside from the fact that it’s in a way a support to brave moviemakers, despite its unsatisfying outcome, the balls to release something like this needs great acknowledgment. Hopefully, in the next brave attempts, it will truly be something not to cry a river about.





1 rant/rave:

Anonymous Anonymous can't stop him/herself from saying...

I am a hopeless romantic out looking for some information on romantic things. Blogger, looks like you have put some work into your site. Well, it is about time I go back to looking for more information. Hey, thanks for the read.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home