Saturday, March 26, 2005

Grace of my heart --- lacks refinement

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Title:
Grace of my Heart (B-)
Release Year:
1996
Actors:
Illeana Douglas, Matt Dillon, Eric Soltz, John Turturro, Bruce Davison, Chris Isaak, Bridget Fonda
Director:
Allison Anders
Story and Screenplay:
Allison Anders
Editor / Music:
James Kwei et al. / Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello
Design / Photography:
Francois Seguin / Jeaa-Yves Escoffier
Producer:
Daniel Hassid et al.
Studio:
Gramercy Pictures

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Grace of my Heart follows the story of Edna Buxton (Douglas), a daughter of a rich family whose dream is to become a recording artist. With that alone, yours truly who’s a frequent visitor of singing auditions (twice is frequent for me), was captivated to watch it.

It all began in a singing competition where she won and was promised to record an album. However, when she arrived in New York, she realized that it was all a dupe. The labels didn’t want no female singers. Imagine, being disowned by your parents and accepting it, thinking that your dreams are finally coming true. Now that’s where our similarity ends. Because if I was her, I would have used my brains. I would have returned to my parents and used their money to release my own album. Why torture myself in the hands of others. But then they wouldn’t have any more story to tell. So okay, lets let it slide.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Because of sheer determination (or idiocy), she decides to reside in the apple, not as big as it is today, but an apple anyway. During her stay, she met Joel Millner (Turturro), a manager who lectured her that she won’t get a recording contract at that time. Don’t ask me why, I was not born yet. That was in the late ‘50’s. And so she agreed, writer she will just be until she’s given the right break.

At first I thought, the love aspect of the movie will be between the two. Apparently not, Edna who’s now named Denise Waverly ends up with another writer, who impregnated her then screwed around; a radio jock who’s already attached and finally to a musician with suicidal tendencies. Her dreams came true but fell short cuz the absolutely beautiful song “God give me strength” flopped. But no worries, she will be able to sell more than a million copies after she made a record immediately after Matt Dillon’s character committed suicide She wasn’t that stupid after all.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Some say this is bigger than any regular movies made by this director named Allison Anders. She usually does movies that show the nature and trials of women. Okay, so this one counts, but I just don’t think it was not well made. The story was compact, a bit dragging at some point particularly in the middle to the conclusion part. In spite of this, instead of dealing with the writer and her reasons for writing, they tried to show aspects of love and the music industry that may be relevant but are way too much for an audience to handle. Thus, losing their interest.

If it’s any consolation, Ileana was pretty convincing. I didn’t actually know her name until I searched for it. I thought she was Toni Colette. The doorknob eyes confused me. Everyone did a great job as well. From Matt to Eric to John. It was a finely acted movie.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Martin Scorcese is the executive producer of this movie for a company that I believe no longer exists. Gramercy pictures, that’s like a studio that makes movies for grams and asks for their mercy to see it. So lame (the name and me). One thing I did admire from this movie is the music. Burt Bacharach, Elvis Costello and Joni Mitchell contributed songs for this one. Shawn Colvin even made a cameo.

Overall, it felt and looked like a hallmark movie. That’s why I thought at first that it was based on a true story. It’s where great stories come to life right? but I saw this on in Cinemax, just a click away from the dreaded movie channel. It’s a fun ride for music lovers since you’ll get to experience the music of what I consider the golden era of modern music. It may not be as interesting for period movie enthusiasts since most of the scenes were taken inside the recording studio. If by any chance you stumble upon this flick, I say watch it, just so you can say to yourself that I made it through watching a movie with such title. That’s reason enough.

Grading Sheet:
Story – 14%
Screenplay –
13%
Direction / Execution –
13%
Acting –
18%
Technical Aspect –
15%
Total: 73% =
B-

4 rant/rave:

Blogger riddler can't stop him/herself from saying...

don, i saw it on cable.... wahehehehe and 1996 pa to...

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous can't stop him/herself from saying...

Hi Blogger, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on black and white guy photography when I found your page. Your Grace of my heart --- lacks refinement is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on black and white guy photography then drop by the site above and check it out.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous can't stop him/herself from saying...

Hi Blogger, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on architectural photography salary when I found your page. Your Grace of my heart --- lacks refinement is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on architectural photography salary then drop by the site above and check it out.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous can't stop him/herself from saying...

Hi Blogger, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on digital photography tips headshots I somehow ended up on your page. As your Grace of my heart --- lacks refinement is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I
stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about digital photography tips headshots, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home