Wednesday, June 30, 2004

spiderman 2... one of the best sequels yet....

Title:
Spiderman 2 (A)
Actors:
Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Alfred Molina,
J. K. Simmons
Writer/Director:
Alvin Sargent / Sam Raimi

“With great gift, comes great responsibility”--- that’s why I’m taking my writing stuff seriously. I’m your hero--- and yah know it!
One of the most anticipated movies this summer has finally landed on our soil, 20 hours earlier than the land of the blonde, blue-eyed and white: Spidy, and so all the hungry moviegoers on this side of the planet came out of their stingy webs to see him back in action, and I’m one of them.
I can hardly believe how the number turned out on its first day. It was the first screening and all seats are taken (except mine, I’m special). No wonder, not a single outfit was brave enough to release their movies. All you can see left showing, are movies that grossed (shockingly!) last manila film festival, the chronicles of whomever and a reissue of the Bride that kills. But next week leftover goodies will be shown, from mean girls (I love Lindsay!) to the conclusion of the bride that kills (not the bride of chucky you stupid prick, I mean freak!)
Anyways, going back to the web-slinger, I would like to point out that this review is not from a comic fan’s point of view (yeah right), I’ve never read a single Marvel comic of this title but I did watch the series so I have a pretty good idea how the story was suppose to go.
On this one, our hero had what we heroes suffer on at one point of our great lives: a hero’s breakdown or simply put, an identity crisis (I can still remember mine); he starts to “lose” his powers opted to quit. A new villain has also arrived it’s Dr. Octopus (it should be quarterpus, he only got 4 robotic whatevers) and the next villain has also been implied, I won’t say who it is cuz I might ruin it for you, all I know is that it’s the one who has the worst taste in color, he wears green metal thingys, he rides on his green rocketling (now this one’s cool) and he’s as giddy as Diana deGarmo (tough clues ei?).
Well, all I can say is our friendly neighborhood spidy has never been this cool. I love this one. It’s definitely much better than the first one, it’s funny, it’s light and more appealing. You feel the character more, there was honesty and sincerity. The director was able to develop Peter Parker (Maguire) without being so histrionic, and that made it more attractive. He experimented with his shots, made some funny choice of it, but it was entertaining. And this is what the first movie lacked; they anticipated that the moviegoers would no longer be as ecstatic as they with the web action and so they thought of ways to make it more winning, and they succeeded, with swinging colors.
The acting was pretty much the same, but I thought Tobey really embodied Spiderman very well. There’s just this certain arrive of his acting that makes it so him. Kirsten was just a breath of fresh air, from the sewers! She always appears greasy and man, wasn’t that “kiss me” scene just droll. James Franco, was I don’t know how you’ll say it ah, yes, nauseating, he’s just OA plus his character is really not that likeable, so that adds more to the irritation.
The effects were great, and the sound was fantastic. The editing was cool but they were still a couple of shots that was a little inapt like the escape-from-the-blowing-house-on- the-sea scene, I didn’t like that. And so does that Jonah Jameson (Simmons) character that I thought was a little too OA. I know he’s infuriating, but I never thought he’s as irksome as that. Was he as dire in the comics?
Again I would like to point out (to the dumb ones who can’t understand) that this is from a non-comic reader point of view. I cannot say whether it was faithful or not to the original story but all I know is that this movie will give enjoyment to whoever watches it. So go, fall in line and get yourself killed.

0 rant/rave:

Post a Comment

<< Home