Thursday, September 16, 2004

13 going on 14, that's how it is!!!!!!!!!

Title: 13 going on 30 (B)
PH Release Date: Sept. 15, 2004
Actors: Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo, Judy Greer
Director: Gary Winick
Story & Screenplay: John Goldsmith & Cathy Yuspa

For some, 13 feels just like yesterday, for me it’s not!

Jennifer Garner stars as Jenna Rink, a 13 year old who possesses all a 13 year old has, a nice dress and the boobs to fill it out, or in that case doesn’t have. She made a wish and out of all the age in the world she chose to be 30 (they just need something to flow with 13, so pathetic, who wants to be 30, 21 will be more convincing). And after a don’t cry out loud moment she awoke in an apartment she never saw before with a naked man in her shower. She tries to figure out stuff and in the end learned her lesson. Can this be more hackneyed?

Typical and predictable clearly précis this movie. There was nothing in this one that you haven’t seen before. It was like watching a less funny Legally Blonde, a less smart Pretty Woman and a less romantic romantic movie (can’t think of any). Aside from the ending, there was nothing surprising about this movie. The ending itself wasn’t surprising but the way it happened was.

I would have marked this movie as completely undesirable if not for Jennifer Garner’s charm. She just makes you smile and makes you giggle. Seeing her playing on the somewhat weak side is very nice. No ass-kicking biatch in this movie, instead you’ll find a thriller-grooving babe. However, as far as I am concerned, she’s not yet in the ranks of Julia and Cameron who just sparkles the screen with their charming smiles, but I have to say that acting wise, Jennifer is far better than the latter.

Mark Ruffalo also came as a surprise, I curse myself for underestimating his skills, I commended him in Collateral and I have to say his versatility is really outstanding. He pulled that boy-next-door act pretty well. However, if we’re talking about chemistry between these two, I don’t think there were any. Nothing. Not enough to at least make me snap out of my seat and kiss the one seating next to me.

There’s nothing much to contemplate with, with regards to music, except that all of them are like a gazillion years ago and some of them I haven’t heard and don’t plan of hearing ever again. Editing, cinematography, direction, everything else in this movie is as regular as my bowel movement (eew, top that!)

Overall, it was a sometimes funny, sometimes irritating but most of the time watchable movie. I’ll bluntly say that I was disappointed because I expected way too much, especially the trailer being so cute and funny and all, but most of the funny parts in there are like half of the movie already. I’d say watch it if you just feel like wasting time or have an excuse to sleep on a date with your girlfriend. As for the girls, you’ll have an excuse to pick up a fight.

1 rant/rave:

Blogger /iambrew can't stop him/herself from saying...

Hahaha... I like this review... Hmm... "Makes you wanna kiss the one seating ebside you?" Sounds familiar.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home