Wednesday, July 14, 2004

king arthur and the knights of the altar

Title:
King Arthur (B+)
PH Release Date:
July 14, 2004
Actors:
Clive Owen, Keira Knightley, Ioan Gruffudd
Director:
Antoine Fuqua
Screenplay:
David Franswoni and John Lihancock
Editor / Music:
Conrad Buff / Hans Zimmer
Design / Photography:
Slawo Miridziak / Dan Weil
Producer:
Jerry Bruckheimer
Studio:
Touchstone and Jerry Bruckheimer Films

“Remember this writing, for it will be the last thing you’ll read on this earth.” – King Artoruis

Going into the movies, I was prepared to see a made-for-cable Hallmark special type of flick. It was a flop in the US Box Office (how can a Keira’ movie with a sex scene flop?) and could be bound to be flopping elsewhere, but in the land where the sun doesn’t nearly shine (UK) it will definitely be a sensation, because it’s all about them (bloody hell!!!).

I wasn’t completely knowledgeable of the Legend of King Arthur ( I was more of a Lam And dude), but I know quite a bit about it. One of which is that Guinevere cheated on Arthur with Lancelot (I guess someone else can shove and draw the sword, oops!), which wasn’t shown in this movie. A few glance scenes, and nothing else.

I say they were successful enough to at least make an impression that King Arthur’s legend was indeed true to some extent. One thing I really hate though was the homeless version of Merlin. Since they’re trying their best to make this a reality, they strip Merlin off from his powers and made him look like a British man who doesn’t know that shampoos exist (well, I think coconut was present during that time).

The fight scenes weren’t something to rave about, but the music was (Hans Zimmer is indeed a genius, I love the scoring in this movie). Acting wise, I’ve always respected Clive Owen as an actor cuz he is very inimitable, there’s no one quite like him in this business, he did fine in this movie but the I’m-so-hungry-that’s-why-I-eat-my-words sound he makes is just irritating, not to mention a few too theatrical delivery of lines.

Well, Keira was definitely much daring in this movie (one of the few reasons why I watched this flick---- okay the major reason), she showed her navel, and she showed some legs. The love scene though was unsatisfactory (show me more, show me more, show me more!!!). She did fine, stayed pretty even if she’s one of the anti-H20 members (calling MWSS). But aside from this two I don’t think you’d recognize any of the actors in this movie, cuz I don’t even know they exist, they’re so nameless, that you don’t wanna see them. If the reason is they have to be all-British, I doubt it, I think Jerry chose to be sparing, and that doesn’t speak well of him (how bloody cheap!!!)
If Dark Ages ain’t your thing, don’t see this movie. If you don’t like hero movies (like me, except if it’s about me), pass on this one, but if you want to see a real epic, and a legend that wasn’t purely computer generated (unlike the wooden horse with the nudist), don’t miss this one, cuz it captured Arthur in a much distinct way and directed well enough for me to give my approval for you to watch (rubbish!!!!)

0 rant/rave:

Post a Comment

<< Home