Thursday, September 02, 2004

The Notebook----simple touch

Title:
The Notebook (A-)
PH Release Date:
Sept. 1, 2004
Actors:
Ryan Gosling, Rachel Mcadams, James Garner, Gena Rowlands, James Marsden
Director:
Nick Cassaretes
Story & Screenplay:
Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks; Adapted by Jan Sardi; Screenplay by Jeremy Leven
Editor / Music:
Alan Heim / Aaron Zigman
Design / Photography:
Sarah Knowles / Robert Praisse
Producer:
Mark Johnson and Lym Harris
Studio:
New Line Cinema


“Behind every great article, is a great writer— ehem”

The movie I’ve been promoting for the last 3 months has finally landed on Phillipine soil. This adaptation of Nicholas Sparks’ best-selling novel about a great love that stood an obstreperous mother, a world war and an inoperable ailment, just might be my salvation from the ruinous two weeks of roughly so-so movies. Such a great story of love never fails to bring smiles and tear marks on one’s face.
The story revolves around Noah and Amy, born in completely different worlds; Noah was a worker while Amy is a daughter of a millionaire. What seemed to commence as a summer fling end up too serious. The two fell madly in love with each other, but Amy’s mother show antipathy towards the relationship, and later found the means to completely secede the pair. And blah, blah, blah, as much as I am enjoying this, spoiling this one ain’t the smartest idea.
From the very first frame of the movie, you know what this movie was, the forlorn, wanting sound, that just tickles the drama in you. And that first shot, it was the archetype of genuine beauty, and there were a lot of them in this one. I have to say that the photography was phenomenal, and the simplicity of the production added to that cozy charm of the movie. And that sound, ah, it just makes you wanna steal Kris Aquino’s Kleenex.
The strongest part of this movie was its beginning and ending, it started exceedingly well, and ended just like how we wish it will which made it truly fulfilling. The middle part may get a little boring for some but the mere fact that the director tried his best to discard and compress some of its parts makes it good enough. But the feeling of veracity in this movie is just marvelous, I guess that’s what kept it so interesting, despite the fact that it was so predictable, and a little clichéd.
Ryan Gosling did an okay job; although some of the scenes I notice his acting to be a little OA. But I think Rachel Mcadams really blossomed in this movie. She was effervescent in a lot of ways and she’s so pretty. I actually thought I was watching Jessica Simpson who can act coalesce with Jennifer Garner minus the taekwando. But she did manage to give a few Karate chops. James Marsden was effective too; the too-nice-and-too-perfect-but-I-don’t-love character of his was well played. And the two veteran actors were very convincing as well.
I have not read the novel so it will be impossible for me to weigh it against this movie. One thing I do know though is that it is not the kind of movie that you can call innovative. But that factor isn’t that much of a letdown cuz it was perfectly rendered. Although, it might get a little grating for some, but the fact that such a story despite its banality didn’t fail to move or at the very least touch the audience does entail that it was good.
I had high expectations for this movie; I won’t say that the movie didn’t measure up cuz it did in a lot of ways. I was sorta deeming that it’d be more emotionally packed, but I am glad it wasn’t, wouldn’t wanna leave the cinema crying a river. This is a perfect movie for lovers, a date movie that I think both sex can appreciate. The guys would dare not to sleep for they’ll miss a lot of those Rachel “show-off” scenes. I need to warn you though that it is quite longer than you expect. As for the readers of the book, notwithstanding the fact that I haven’t read the book, I do believe that the book might have been better, bluntly because such a love story is harder to execute on screen than on writing. In reading, you know every inch of the emotions and every single thoughts and actions by the characters. In the movie, you gotta guess. But I think this movie did a pretty fine job, not perfect, but satisfactory. And believe me when I say that you’ll go out of the movie house feeling that true love does exist.

2 rant/rave:

Blogger Maan can't stop him/herself from saying...

You're not the first person who said that Ryan Gosling's acting is not THAT great. I just have to disagree and stand up for him. In a girl's point of view, Gosling is perfect for the part. He's good-looking and adorable but has a bad boy look to him which adds to his charms. =)Anyway, I just have to say that I cried buckets of tears when I saw this movie.

11:49 PM  
Blogger riddler can't stop him/herself from saying...

Maan, i didn't say Ryan wasnt good, i said he was okay... there were some scenes where i really thought he was utterly good but there were also scenes that i found he's acting a little OA. And you weren't the only person crying in the cinema while watching this movie..he..he.... thanx.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home