Thursday, October 14, 2004

Sky Captain and The World of YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Title:
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (B+)
PH Release Date:
October 13, 2004
Actors:
Jude Law, Gwyneth Palthrow, Angelina Jolie, Giovanni Ribisi, Bai Ling
Director:
Kerry Conran
Story & Screenplay:
Kerry Conran
Composer:
Edward Shearmur
Producer:
Jon Avnet, Sadie Frost, Jude Law and Marsha Oglesby
Studio:
Paramount

“the world is gonna tremble------ no worries, it’s just an earthquake ”

We’re back on the time when trench coats are like oxygen, when cars were as many as David Letterman’s hair and when colored TVs are considered uniquely owned.
Newspaper reporter Polly Perkins (Palthrow) is on the tail of Dr. Totenkopf, what she learned responsible for the killings of 7 scientists and the emergence of airborne steel robots. In search of the man, he came upon meeting her former fling Sky Captain and off they go in search for the enigmatic man. They sought the help of Franky (Jolie), the leader of the Amphibious squadron (but they don’t hop). Seemingly uncanny I didn’t notice that almost 2 hours has passed. What does that mean? Continue reading to find out….

This movie is one of the many releases for Jude Law this fall. I’m a big fan of his from the Wisdom of the Crocodiles to Cold Mountain. I think he’s one of the few bankable stars who’s also an excellent actor. This movie, though not as emotionally charged like most of his movies, is a refreshing move for him and I like it. Not to mention that Gwyneth and Angelina is also in it.

I never saw the trailer for this movie and I don’t know why but I’m glad I didn’t cuz it’s one of those rare moments that I get really excited and shock after seeing the first frame. The only thing I am aware of before seeing this one is that it stars the three and it’s all CGI. Besides that, I was like a kid in a birthday party, waiting for the bozo to show his trick.

It was nothing like I’ve ever seen before. It was indubitably one of the most unique films I’ve ever seen. At first, I couldn’t believe my eyes, I found it completely bizarre, eerie in some way. I was like watching a German Silent film only it isn’t taciturn.
And the moment I saw Gwyneth I thought this is for real and it just boosted my enthusiasm. It kept my eyes stapled on the screen, not wanting to miss any part of this amazing trick.

The photography and cinematography is way above great, it was pristine. And the direction though not as perfect was very impressive. The fact that Kerry Conran has no background or whatsoever with moviemaking when he nailed this $60M budget film is astonishing. I mean, what more can this guy do if he studied film in Oxford? Although I haven’t read the full story on exactly what he did to make the Paramount executives nod it definitely gave somebody hope...he…he…

However, despite the amazing visual works in this movie, it isn’t all that I look for. They are fortunate that this movie is vivid, visually entertaining and splendidly directed cuz the story, well, how will I put it, sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C’mon, the story is as old as the movie’s color. It’s like a straight from the children’s book kinda movie. It was so predictable that I’m starting to think of putting up my own psychic stand in Quiapo. If this movie was not directed like it has been, this movie will go straight to cable, no video releases, just cable.

It was a good thing though that despite the banal storyline the chemistry between Jude and Gwyneth was so there. They’re able to make you laugh when they’re in those silly childish scenes. It was so funny. Angelina Jolie had a very short exposure but she was so good in it, it was kinda sexy actually.

It’s a good movie for everyone to see. It’s rated GP despite some violent scenes but I think kids can handle them because of it’s gloomy dreamlike effect. It’s a feast for the eyes and it’s something really new. It’s enjoyable up to the very last frame and I guess you’d be waiting for the FIN but there won’t be any. If you wanna see something really worth your money, see this movie, you’d be thwarted by how obsolete moviemaking is in our country. How I just hope that tomorrow can give us the chance to make something as good as Sky Captain.

0 rant/rave:

Post a Comment

<< Home