Friday, October 22, 2004

Feng Shui... way to overrated... way too overdue

Title:
Feng Shui (B)
PH Release Date:
September 15, 2004
Actors:
Kris Aquino, Jay Manalo, Lotlot de Leon, Ilonah Jean
Director:
Chito S. Roño
Story & Screenplay:
Roy Iglesias
Producer:
Charo Santos-Concio and Malou Santos
Studio:
Star Cinema

Sa inyo na lang po itong isang chunkee oh…… ulol mo GRRRRR!!!!!

It has been released more than a month ago and everyone’s been talking about it, but it was only a few days ago that I got forced to watch this movie and just like everybody else, I have so many things to say about it, the only difference is it’s sounder. From the very beginning you knew that this ain’t a usual Star Cinema, the perverted new logo says it all. And after watching it, you’ll realize it ain’t that unusual at all. The dismal promotion of one of Kris Aquino’s sponsors is just way too out of the line, c’mon do they really need to repeat the name of the product twice and be part of the whole conversation as if it’s a household name? Dah!

The story revolves around the life of Joy, the light of a middle class home (naks, ilaw ng tahanan) who’s starting a new life separate from her mother-in-law. Joy fortunately found a bagua left by a man sitting next to her in the bus. She keeps the bagua having known that it is believed to bring good luck and drives away evil spirits. Along with the abundant luck that came along after owning the bagua, a number of mysterious events started to transpire, from the multiple deaths of people she knew and the phantoms she and her family encountered. Joy is on the race against the evil within the bagua to find a way to stop the incessant deaths that came along after each mind-boggling good fortune, before it gives her all the luck she needs and take away all the ones she loves.

The concept of this movie is highly remarkable. Some may say after watching it that it’s stupid: inexplicably dying with accordance to the year you belong. But I believe that it takes a hell lot of a smart man to come up with such an exceptional idea. Roy Iglesias is without a doubt one of the best writers in our country today along with Jose Javier Reyes and the likes. The first part of the movie was very good that in fact I thought this movie might be something I’ve never seen before but then that “Chunkee” thing came along and I found myself on the verge of puking on the screen. Exaggerated yah, but that’s how disgusted I am! It was way too strained, categorically unacceptable!

The first half of the movie I truly liked, except for that chunkee part, forgive me my friends for repeatedly pointing it out. The second part had a lot of flaws most especially along the ending. There were a lot of questions that should have been answered and a lot of events that occurred without any explanation as to why such things ended up in such way. It leaves confusion with regards to the death of Ilonah Jean’s character and a lot more (though I know most of you have seen it I won’t spoil to those who haven’t)

I like Chito Roño and I admire his works especially Bata Bata, but in this movie, I kinda didn’t like the directing. During the first half it was fine and well executed except that chunkee thing (let it go!!!), but then in the second half the movie in general started to falter, story and direction in particular. The best shot and executed scene for me was the killing of Lotlot de Leon’s character. That was one hell of a scene. It was somewhat comical, yes, but man, the genuineness of that scene is just incredible. The editing was bad from the start, it’s really tough to find a well edited film in our country today so I let it slide. I have to say though that the editing and direction were good enough when it comes to the daunting scenes. The photography in this movie was appauling, it was the feast of the boom mike. The cinematography was fine and thank god there’s no grating recurring theme song in this movie.

I am guilty as charge of being a Kris Aquino aficionado; she’s my guilty pleasure. And I admit, she did extremely well in this movie. A lot of great acting feat that I never thought could come out from such a stuffing, pale, well-heeled woman (I love secretly mocking her from time to time just like every Filipino). It’s a pity though but I think it’s not really her fault, when I watch her I still can’t feel that she’s actually the character, for me it was still Kris Aquino. Once again sharing to the public one of her adversities. I still wonder how she pulled off extremely well that scene wheer a gun was aimed on her face, that’s her best scene, totally uncanny; I think we should ask Joey about it. Lotlot de Leon is a revelation in this movie. I never knew she could act that well, it was amazing, the red horse scene, ha just too good to forget. Ilonah was good as well and the only one I didn’t like was Jenny. It’s something personal, I just dislike her.

It’s a movie that will definitely impel the viewers to the edge of their seats. It’s a tough movie to get out of cuz it’ll keep you glued. Do not expect a movie that will make you scream at the top of your lungs cuz it ain’t like that. Go and see this movie for the very reason alone that it’s one the few good ones released this year and that re horse scene was just too perfect. Just contain yourself when the scene about the chunkee comes in. Besides seeing a gun aimed at Kris Aquino’s face is priceless. (Bang! I’m dead!)



1 rant/rave:

Blogger Ace can't stop him/herself from saying...

watched this movie two days ago and i liked it, well, for a pinoy movie, yeah. Its way beyond filipino concept of a movie. the script was intelligent and the acting were great especially lotlot. For kris, i was stunned too. i was surprised of her performance here. when i heard she won best supporting actress for 'mano po' i was like.....whaaaaat? kris aquino? i reacted that way even i havent seen 'mano po' yet. forgive me but it was her past movies that came to my mind like 'the vizconde massacre', etc. Lotlot was great. i should say really great.... would she be nominated for supporting come awards season? its not u, it was jenny miller who made a big scar in this movie. she was aweful! i just cant recall how lotlot's character died. being born in the year of the horse, was she killed by the 'kabayo' ng platsa? it was totally out of taste. sana iniba na lang nila.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home